Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Blood Bond by Heather Hildenbrand

Title: Blood Bond
Series: Dirty Blood
Author: Heather Hildenbrand
Previous Books in Series: Dirty Blood, Cold Blood
Rating: 5 stars
Length: 7893 Kindle units


Refresher: Tara is half-werewolf, half-Hunter, and she is destined to bring peace between the warring races.
 

When last we left Tara, she was at Hunter school and had just defeated Miles, the psycho werewolf-Hunter hybrid, who was turning humans and Hunters into werewolves for his own nefarious purposes. As we open book 3, Tara has any number of problems. First, there is her ex-boyfriend George, who has been injected with werewolf syndrome and is certain to go mad if Tara can’t find a way to save him. Second, all the new hybrids that Miles created are coming after Tara at the behest of some new leader. Meanwhile, Tara’s latent werewolf side seems to be manifesting, and the Hunters have decided that they may not want to make peace with werewolves after all. So Tara’s got a lot on her plate.
 

What kept striking me as I read Blood Bond was how much I love Heather Hildenbrand’s writing. It flows so smoothly that you get sucked in, and before you know it, you’ve read half the book. Part of this is that there are always interesting plot things going on. This third installment of the series introduces some interesting new characters and twists on the mythology. And Tara does her trademark going off on her own and take some ill-advised action in the name of saving the day, which so annoys a friend of mine about the series.
 

In terms of romance, I have to confess that I’m still not loving Wes. He is perfectly nice, but I think that’s the problem. He doesn’t really have any traits of his own. He just does whatever a standard supportive boyfriend would do. Which is why I like Alex better, even though he starts the novel by going off on a squad to kill possibly innocent hybrids. Because he has a conflict and makes bad choices occasionally. Or, you know, a lot. But I think this may have to be a case where I reconcile myself to being on Team Wrong Boy.
 

Also, is it just me, or does the position of the girl on the cover look really uncomfortable? I can’t help thinking, “Gah, why is she twisting her spine that way?”
 

Overall, a really good third book. I enjoyed the new twists and characters, and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next.
 

See Details for Book on    Amazon     Barnes & Noble     Smashwords

0 comments:

Post a Comment