Friday, April 6, 2012

Interview with Maddy Edwards

This week I am pleased to announce a special Friday posting, an interview with Maddy Edwards, author of the One Black Rose series (One Black Rose, August, and Autumn) and Paranormal Public. She also has a new book called Spiral coming out at the end of the month (!!), so keep a look out for it and the review on my site.

Where did you get the idea for the One Black Rose series?

I have no idea! I wanted to do romance and I wanted to do something in Maine, where I grew up, and the result was One Black Rose.

What made you decide to write a young adult novel?

Well, even though there are several genres I read, lately I have mostly been reading young adult, so it made sense to try and write a book in the genre I liked to read.

Who are your favorite authors to read? What authors do you feel have most influenced you work?

Oh dear. Tamora Pierce is a big one. I grew up reading and re-reading everything she wrote. I love the strong female characters and the magic. My mom loves the Lord of the Rings and would read that to my brother and me every year when we were little and I loved the sweeping fantasy. More recent favorites would be Samantha Young and Cassandra Clare. Actually, with Clare I learned a lot about writing detailed description. I was reading her and I realized how many adjectives she was using and that was a big “oh” moment for me. I don’t think I write like her, but it was definitely a good learning experience.

What aspects of your books are based on your own life experiences?

HA. This is going to get me into trouble. *Insert dramatic sigh here.* The part that I can tell you is NOT is having two hot guys fighting over me. I don’t think that’s ever happened. I would have noticed. There are certain relationships, Nick and Carley’s in the One Black Rose series, for example, that are relationships I have seen myself, but I can also say that my brother has read all of my books and he keeps saying, “I can’t figure out which character is based off of me,” and he can’t because there isn’t one. I guess have these sort of invented characters rolling around in my head and they aren’t really people I know. They are more like a mish-mash of people I know. Lisabelle, in Paranormal Public, speaks only in sarcasm. I don’t know anyone like that. I know a couple of people who try to be like that (aaand fail), but my thinking with her wasn’t, “make her like so and so” it was, “make sure she clearly has a sarcastic personality, but is still lovable.”

What do you do when you are not writing about the complicated loves lives of the princes of fairy courts?I like to cook and hang out with friends, or at least talk to them online as a lot live far away these days. I also watch a lot of TV shows. If I was forced to give a list of all the TV shows I keep up with I would have to lowball it or no one would believe I do anything else (I’m not sure how I do manage to do anything else, now that I think of it). I have low standards when it comes to television entertainment, which broadens my horizons, although they are not so broad that I watch reality TV.

What made you decide to self-publish One Black Rose?

I had pretty much decided before I wrote it that that’s the rout I was going to take. I had actually written three books previously (not very good. They are not going to be published, or self-published or seen) and the idea of traditionally publishing sounded so futile that I didn’t bother. Plus, I read JA Konrath’s  and saw that it was possible to self-publish a good book and have people enjoy it and I was sold. I would definitely recommend checking it out and reading as much of it as possible.

I must say, self-publishing has been a wonderful experience. It isn’t always easy, but it’s forced me to do some things that I never would have done otherwise and that’s a good thing and people actually read and like my books, to which my reaction is: *Wow. Amazing.*

What advice would you give to authors looking to self-publish their own work?

Keep your chin up and keep plugging away. Get as much information about the business as possible. I read JA Konrath’s blog. I read Amanda Hocking’s. Samantha Young did a great post a while ago about her own successful journey. I watched the best sellers and read the comments to see what people were reading and thinking. I got bogged down at times, because it’s a lot to take on by yourself, but it’s SO worth it.

Also, write a good book. Have a good cover. Write a good book. Make friends with other people who can give you feedback and act as sounding boards. One Black Rose sold 45 books it’s first month. No one can buy it if they don’t know it’s there, so you need to find ways to gain exposure.

Autumn seems to be the end of the One Black Rose series. Can we look forward
to seeing more of your work after that?


Yes! I have another series, Paranormal Public that I am still working on, which your readers know about :-) Also, I have book that is the start of an entirely new series coming out called Spiral. It’s about a girl named Nat who can heal, but she doesn’t know why. When she meets a boy named Pierce she finds out exactly what her powers are and a whole lot more. I’m really excited about it and it should be out by the end of April. Yay!

If you could have a super power, what would it be and why?

To stop time. So that I would have more time for TV shows... hehe, jokes. Sort of.

What one question do you wish that I had asked you but did not? (Question and answer please.)

Do you have any advice for writers?

I only put that in, because I’ve gotten some questions about offering writing advice. I’m not sure if I’m the best person to ask, but I do know that I have a hard time finishing writing a book. It’s long and it takes a lot concentration. Keeping the story interesting and controlling the plot lines. So, my advice is take it slowly, write about something you love, and keep going at it. It’s going to be hard at times, but that’s okay. It also really helps if you have people, friends, family, anyone that loves you , to read your work and offer feedback.

Well, thank you to Elizabeth for having me. This was lovely and thanks to the readers for reading!


0 comments:

Post a Comment