Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Autumn by Maddy Edwards


Title: Autumn
Series: One Black Rose
Author: Maddy Edward
Previous Books in Series: One Black Rose, August
Rating: 4 stars
Length: 3807 Kindle units

Refresher: Girl on summer vacation falls in love with the prince of the Summer Court even though she is supposed to be with the prince of the Winter Court. Melodrama ensues.

I was super-excited when I got an e-mail from Maddy Edwards sending me a copy of her new book Autumn. I wasn’t expecting to hear about a new book from her for at least a few more months, since August just came out in December. Once I got past my initial confusion of having to distinguish between two six-letter words that begin with “Au,” I downloaded it right away. (Seriously, I was staring at my Amazon search results for longer than I care to admit thinking, “Wait, none of these is new” before I realized that August and Autumn are two different words.) I have to give bonus kudos to anyone who can get a book out in three months, especially when the books are of the quality of the One Black Rose series.

I e-mailed Maddy and told her that I would review her book within the next couple of weeks, but by the time I got home from work, I was so excited to read it that I did so right away and wrote a review while it was still fresh in my mind. It’s been awhile since I’ve been this excited to read a new release. I’m not sure exactly why I find Maddy Edwards’s work so readable, but she and a few of the other authors I’ve read since I began my quest to review every self-published YA paranormal novel out there have introduced me to series that I am eager to read more of, which is something the traditional publishing world has not done for me in a while.

As for the book itself, I believe that I liked Autumn the best of the series. I felt like I had a good sense of what all the characters wanted and how they were feeling. Well, except Carley, but I don’t think even she knows what she’s thinking half the time. We even get into Samuel’s head a little, at long last. Autumn is rather petulant for a lot of the book, often in cases where she would be wise to keep her mouth shut, but given what’s going on with her life, I can’t say she’s being all that unreasonable.

I’m pretty sure that Autumn is the last book in the series, and I really liked the ending, though I had no expectation that it would turn out in a satisfactory manner. I went back and reread the last five pages at least five times. The way a series ends is important to me, and even though I’m a little disappointed that there won’t be any more books in the series, I am glad that I have a good feeling of closure around the story. Of course, in the event that I am wrong, I will happily read more.

See Details for Book on    Amazon 

0 comments:

Post a Comment